Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Glory of Gumby's

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. Wednesday Night is always a great night because everyone comes into town and goes out for a night of glorious drinking and socializing. Hands down always guaranteed to run into someone who you haven't seen in years and the reunion (via alcohol) makes it that much better. Wednesday all that happened - plus an extra bonus. We started the evening out at a local bar that has come to be my second home (I think I might be sounding like a alcoholic - but I do promise its the socializing) and followed it up by going to F at CV. Which by the way had a band playing - how weird is that - so no dirty dancing was possible - good thing for me because this girl has no rhythm. If only y'all could see me do the cupid shuffle - I promise you would pee in your pants from laughter at my misdirection steps. At F I ran into some high school friends who I haven't seen in quite awhile which was awesome. Love doing those double takes and trying to rationalize is that so and so...maybe...or is it...


Okay so the night ends - the lights come on - whoo wee turn the lights back off! Some people look better in the mood lighting. And we decide our party of four and go on home. We get all the way home when my dear roomie declares "I want Gumbys!" I of course grab my phone and dial the number (is it sad that after they had been closed for what 9-12 months I still have their number memorized?!) I call and the lovely Gumby's man explains to me that its Thanksgiving Eve and they are going home. What?! Sir you don't understand I love Gumbys and I was heartbroken when y'all were shut down for failing a sanitation grade - once - oh wait twice. He puts me on hold and says - Um can you be here in 10 mins and I will give you a FREE pokey sticks? Oh darling you bet your garlic crack butter I will be there in 10 mins. Everyone get in the car we are going to Gumbys!

All four us pile in the car to make our way to Gumbys...we arrive there in 11 mins. Now if I was to actually time this travel I would have to say it would most likely take us a little bit longer then 11mins....but whatever.


I get out of the car and three delightful hippies are standing outside smoking their cigs - oh dirty hippies - and the following conversation takes place:


ME: Hello boys! Who was answering the phones tonight?


Hippies: *dumb stare*


ME: I just talked to someone eleven mins ago in regards to Pokey Sticks?


Hippies: OMG - You actually showed up!


Me: Honey - you say pokey sticks and this girl comes a running ... of course I showed up!


Hippies: Okay well just hang on one second and I will go get you your Pokey Sticks


ME: Im so excited!


One Hippie: You know you could have driven to Chapel Hill - they are still open


ME: Yes - but their customer service is not up to par with y'alls and I wouldn't settle for anything less.


At this time Hippie #2 comes out with a DAMN IT SIZE POKEY STICKS ! Hands it to me and says Enjoy!


ME: Oh gracious - THANK YOU THANK YOU - Give me a hug you just made my favorite night of the year that much better!


Hippie #2: *Clearly feeling awkward hugs me*


ME: *Skip away in delight with my FREE pokey sticks*


3 comments:

Barefoot in the Park said...

i LOVE your gumbys story. about as classy as myroomies "pay in change for pokey sticks" experience when we were freshmen. hahaha.

Well I Do Declare said...

This story made my day! Nothing like FREE Gumbys! I would have hugged him, too :P

Allison said...

I LOVE THAT STORY!! So awesome...my sister is going to be totally jealous when I tell her and so is Will...free pokey sticks..amazing!

xoxo
allison