Monday, October 19, 2009

Being Nice

How long do you have to be nice to someone even if you really do not care for them one bit? My mother always told me (and still does) - we are nice and gracious to everyone - take the higher road. Yah well I getting tired of taking the higher road and I chose the "if I have nothing nice to say - I'm not going to say anything at all" approach but it makes me feel like I'm being a snob.

But honestly I do not want to make small talk with you - I do not want you to ask me questions about my dog because if you liked my dog you would pet my dog and be nice to her and stop pretending like you are interested in how I am doing when I know really you are not. I would rather you just stay away altogether because you frighten me. And one more thing to be completely honest - I do not want to feel obligated to ask how you are - because I could care less. So that is where I am stuck - be rude and ignore or be nice even though it is not genuine and not sincere and makes me feel bad for being fake.

Suggestions?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

LOL - Do you HAVE to interact with this person? I'd just avoid them to not have to make the awkward convo.

KPB said...

haha actually i never see this person - it is very rare - as in maybe once a month if that. however when we do see one of another its like um can i run for the bushes or did they already see me? ! or even better perhaps the pavement will open up and swallow me whole - that would be better.