Monday, March 23, 2009

Cole

Last week I found out that my friend Cole had a stroke. I met Cole through kickball and he was the pitcher for our team. Cole had just turned 28 and this just completely baffled me because he was by no means unhealthy.

This is the email that was forwarded to me from one of our friends about what happened...

So on Friday, Cole asked Rachel and his friend Bobby to take him to the hospital because either he was not feeling well or they called him back into the hospital. So when he got there he had the stroke right in front of Rachel. He was at the hospital when this happen. He had an infection that got into his blood stream which caused him to have a blood clot in his brain which caused the stroke. When I talked to Melissa yesterday she said that the doctors said that he probably would not make it through today. They said that are pretty sure that he is brain dead and if he was still alive today they were going to do a cat scan to see if he was.

Wednesday his family decided to pull him off life support. On Saturday morning the roomie and I went to his funeral. I have been to several funerals, however never for a friend that is my age. The sight of his mother brought me to tears. I sat trying to wrap my mind and emotions around what was going on. Cole is the same age as my older brother ... what if something like this happened to him? What was the last thing I said to him? What about my friends?

Cole had a tattoo that said Matthew 6:34: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." This verse just hit home for me. So often I allow myself to become wrapped up in the what if's and etc. and you know what? It's not worth it. Take it one day at a time and if you live each day to the fullest then you have no regrets.

So blog friends - tell your family and friends you love them. If you are mad about something forgive. Life is too short.

3 comments:

Well I Do Declare said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for sharing that verse. It is so powerful, and I am sure many of us, myself definitely included, need to take it to heart.

HUGS :)

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear that - when one of my younger sister's died from lung cancer (19 - never smoked, an amazing gymnast), I had the same feeling and loss for sense. Thanks for posting that verse though... I've been freaking out over my lack of control of the future and that helps put it in perspective... we've only got today.

Vicki T said...

So sorry, KtP, there just aren't words for a time like this. Thank you for sharing this part of your life though.