Tuesday, March 31, 2009

31 Days

31 Days of being sober. 

 

Yes that's right 31 - wow March was a long month.  Now some of y'all who have not been in my company during this past month of nondrinking might be asking yourself - "What the heck, Pav? You of all people love a bottle glass of wine.”  I would reply, “Heck yes I do – I heart those delicious grapes. Along with hops – can’t forget the beer – love that too.”  So what’s the deal?

The deal is this – the roomie, the personal trainer, and I decided to go a month without drinking.  Now if I were a good Catholic I would say I did this for Jesus. But I’m not Catholic – I’m Baptist and we drink in the closet.  We decided to do this because 1.) We wanted to get motivated about running a half-marathon 2.) When is the last time I could say I went a significant without drinking …hmmm good question – 18?

I dragged my feet big time about doing this – I mean seriously – a whole month?!  Of course I agreed but part of me was not so sure I would actually be able to do this.  And let me tell y’all the devil was tempting my butt.  First weekend in I get a phone call from my ex telling me he is going to my new neighbor – where is the wine opener?  Oh right – well someone get me some water so I can chug it. Second I was on spring break and my nursing gals like to celebrate in style.  Third – Fat Tire has come to North Carolina.  This is one of my favorite beers.  Seriously?! I have begged and pleaded for you to come East and March is the month you decided to make it happen. It’s okay I have successfully swiped two Fat Tire pint glasses from different bar establishments.  Four- Two good friends had birthday parties.  Five – I just bought a ridiculously expensive computer that when checking out I almost fell over at the price.  I needed something for my nerves.  

What did I do calm my nerves? I got myself a YMCA membership.  And found a new addiction – cycling.  Must try it if you have never done so.  AMAZING.  And amongst all this soberness I realized how proactive I have become and my workouts have improved so much!  Dang you grapes and hops.  Also it is possible to go 31 days without drinking and you can still have a good time.   

 

So blog friend Cheers to whatever might be in your glass. 

5 comments:

Vicki T said...

OMG--THERE IS FAT TIRE ON THE EAST COAST AND IT'S IN RALEIGH--WTF? I have to make a trip down.

Sounds like I will see you on Saturday! We'll take half-marathons then :)

Barefoot in the Park said...

I am so proud of you!

I'm not a huge drinker anymore, but I do still enjoy a glass of wine here and there. What an accomplishment!

As for the Y, I'm interested, send me an email please! I'd like to get some details!

Well I Do Declare said...

What are you having as your first drink back?

Lisa said...

So... you fallin' off the wagon this weekend? Well done... it would've been tough in my industry ;-) But seems like you got some kick butt benefits out of it!

Danielle Moss said...

Congrats! Funny post. :)

Seems that everyone is running these half marathons these days. I don't think I could do it.