Tuesday, September 16, 2008

OR Bound

Today was a day I needed ... we all have one of those. When things are going alright and you just need to do something to give you that boost of encouragement or that drive that makes you feel - "Yes! Yes this is what I want to do!" Here is how mine happened.

Last week during my yearly evaluation (which went very well - thank goodness :) ) my manager asked me if there was anything I wanted to do before leaving in January to head off to Nursing School. I replied - I really want to spend the day in the O.R. I have been pack in the OR lots of times but never had the opportunity to observe surgeries because I was needed in the Pharmacy. So my opportunity came today.

I woke up at 5:30 to be at the hospital and ready to go at 6:30. I was so excited I could barely eat my breakfast. One of my favorite OR nurses agreed last week to let me be her shadow and she was wonderful. It was fascinating to be on the other side of the doors finally. Dr P and Dr S were the surgeons I was observing and they were a hoot. Dr P told me to just ask any questions I might have while he was poking and prodding and cutting away into this patients stomach and every time I did he would reply - "You are jumping ahead!" or "We'll I would tell you but then Dr S would have to kill you." Lovely. haha. They made me feel completely relaxed - even when they pulled the cecum out from the belly button! (I know for some of you you are gagging right now)
The next surgery was a lap cholo - gallbladder removal. Dr C let me hold the gallbladder when he finally pulled it out of yes the belly button! It was so cool - what a neat little organ!
By this time it was about 12:00 and I was hungry. I headed to lunch for a 30 min break and was back in the OR by 12:30 ready for the next surgery.
The last two surgeries were great..but the focus was on a different part of the body. The first one was repairing a hole in the ear canal and taking a skin graft to do so. The second surgery was a craniotomy and no Dr McDreamy was not there! Unfortunately....but I did get to see the brain! It was a very bloody site but nonetheless very neat.
My day ended at about 4:30 ... so it was a long 10 hr day but so worth it. I felt so pumped up leaving the hospital. I am just obsessed with surgery. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed and I can not wait until I have my nursing degree and I can be back there every day.

1 comment:

C + O said...

oh you! too cute. love the rundown of your day. miss you!